[author's note:I'm grateful to be a part of the Up 4 Discussion Family. I consider this to be a place where all-star bloggers come to hang out, so I'm really excited to be here. To my new family members, I'm looking forward to learning, teaching and laughing with you for years to come.]
For years, church congregations, politicians and the people who love them have argued over abortion. It is one of the most discussed social issues out there, and one’s opinion on abortion is often used as a moral compass for which people measure how good or evil one’s mind is.
First, I think it’s fair to say that some people think about their affiliation and loyalty to political parties or groups over what’s right for their situation. Labels dominate the world, and history tells us that humans tend to need to belong to something.
While die-hard Pro-Choice supporters have legitimate reasons to feel the way that they do, die-hard Pro-Life supporters also have an equal argument. Today, we revisit an age-old debate between the two.
5. Since life begins at conception, abortion is akin to murder as it is the act of taking human life. Abortion is in direct defiance of the commonly accepted idea of the sanctity of human life.
4. Adoption is a viable alternative to abortion and accomplishes the same result. And with 1.5 million American families wanting to adopt a child, there is no such thing as an unwanted child.
3. An abortion can result in medical complications later in life; the risk of ectopic pregnancies doubles, and the chance of a miscarriage and pelvic inflammatory disease also increases.
2. In the instance of rape and incest, proper medical care can ensure that a woman will not get pregnant. Abortion punishes the unborn child who committed no crime; instead, it is the perpetrator who should be punished.
1. For women who demand complete control of their body, control should include preventing the risk of unwanted pregnancy through the responsible use of contraception or, if that is not possible, through abstinence.
5. Nearly all abortions take place in the first trimester, when a fetus cannot exist independent of the mother. As it is attached by the placenta and umbilical cord, its health is dependent on her health, and cannot be regarded as a separate entity as it cannot exist outside her womb.
4. The concept of personhood is different from the concept of human life. Human life occurs at conception, but fertilized eggs used for in vitro fertilization are also human lives and those not implanted are routinely thrown away. Is this murder, and if not, then how is abortion murder?
3. Adoption is not an alternative to abortion, because it remains the woman’s choice whether or not to give her child up for adoption. Statistics show that very few women who give birth choose to give up their babies – less than 3% of white unmarried women and less than 2% of black unmarried women.
2. Abortion is a safe medical procedure. The vast majority of women - 88% – who have an abortion do so in their first trimester. Medical abortions have less than 0.5% risk of serious complications and do not affect a woman’s health or future ability to become pregnant or give birth.
1. The ability of a woman to have control of her body is critical to civil rights. Take away her reproductive choice and you step onto a slippery slope. If the government can force a woman to continue a pregnancy, what about forcing a woman to use contraception or undergo sterilization?
As Lydia walked to her car in the darkened parking lot she had a vague uneasiness. She should have waited for the security guard escort, but if she had she undoubtedly would have been late for her meeting at the Garden Club. Hastily she unlocked the door, yanked the car door open, jumped in and was trying to shove the key in the ignition when a hand from the back seat covered her mouth and jerked her head viciously into the head rest. “One sound out of you, and you are dead,” he said. The next ten minutes would be seared into her brain forever. With a knife at her throat, he sexually assaulted her in the back seat of the car, beat her savagely, and left her for dead. When she finally came to her senses she drove herself to the nearest Emergency Room. Over the next few weeks the physical wounds would heal. The emotional healing would take much longer. The nightmare continued. Four weeks after the assault, the clinic confirmed her worst fears. She was pregnant.
Would a person who declares allegiance to Team Pro-Life make an exception in this case?
Gary and Karen were ecstatic. After four years of marriage, Karen was pregnant. Gary would finish law school in six months. The timing could not have been better. Karen had always wanted a big family, but they had delayed till Gary would have a regular paying job. But after her third prenatal visit Dr. Abrams called her at home. Could she and Gary come to the office tomorrow at three to review her recent test results? He would explain everything then. Over the next few weeks ultrasound tests confirmed what the blood tests had suggested. Their baby, if allowed to come to term, would have severe neural tube defects. In other words, the child would have an open spinal cord, hydrocephalus, mental retardation and probably never walk in a normal manner. The burden that this child would experience, and the pain the family would suffer would be unbearable. The best thing would be to have an abortion. Dr. Abrams gave them the names of two competent gynecologists. It would be best for everyone.
Based on the information given, what would you do?
Up 4 Discussion…
1) Are you Team Pro-Life or Team Pro-Choice?
2) Does your declaration for either side allow room for judgment calls?
3) Is someone’s opinion on the matter a relationship deal-breaker?
Get FREE Up4Dsn Email Updates!